[LUNAR Announce:] Maker Faire Launch Stats

Jack Hagerty jhagerty at juno.com
Wed May 26 01:31:07 UTC 2010

Hi all -

Here are the launch stats from Maker Faire. It took me a little while to
count them because someone spilled salad dressing or something into the bag
with the cards. After pulling them out and carefully separating the soggy
ones, I gave them a day or so to dry out before counting.

We flew 307 rockets on Saturday and 233 on Sunday for a total of 540 rockets
in two days. That's a lot! The cards didn't differentiate between the
Cyclones and saucers, but I know we brought 400 Cyclone kits and materials
for 200 saucers, so I did a 1/3 - 2/3 split on the total and it came out to
nice round numbers: 360 Cyclones and 180 saucers. Of course the daily totals
don't quite split that nicely, but rounding gives us 205 Cyclones and 102
saucers on Saturday, and 155 Cyclones and 78 saucers on Sunday. I know
that's skewed a little because we were building nothing but saucers for the
last two hours or so on Sunday after we ran out of Cyclone kits.

This means that there are some 40 Cyclone kits that were bought but not
flown. It's actually more than that because at least a half dozen people
came up to me on Sunday with the kit they'd built and flown on Saturday
wanting to buy another motor and fly again. It will be interesting to see
how many purple rockets show up at Ames next month.  I told folks that if
they'd bring their MF badges or tickets to our next launch, we'd waive the
walk-on fee to give them another chance to get snagged into the hobby!

Here are the numbers for all four years, in case you're interested:

Year

Day

Flights

2007

Saturday

133

Sunday

109

Total

242

2008

Saturday

240

Sunday

206

Total

446

2009

Saturday

218

Sunday

171

Total

389

2010

Saturday-A

205

Saturday-C

102

Sunday-A

155

Sunday-C

78

Total

540

Here are the numbers in graphical form (I hope this embeds right):

- Jack

Jack Hagerty, ARA Press

http://www.arapress.com

"Our main goal for a long time [developing the V2] was to make it more
dangerous

to be in the target area than to be part of the test crew." -- Wernher von
Braun

Penny Stock Jumping 2000%
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4bfc79df6eee2e0459st04duc