[LUNAR Announce:] LUNAR outreach events!

david raimondi d.raimondi at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 12 03:13:16 UTC 2011

LUNAR!

The Club has several Outreach events in the near future and we need your
help to make them a success!

National Science Teachers Association (NSTA): March 10th - 12th.
This is a yearly convention for Teachers, and is being held at the Moscone
Center in SF. The AIA and NAR are sharing a booth to promote
Rocketry in education, Team America Rocketry Challenge and NAR.

We get to introduce teachers to model rocketry, how this applies to science
and also talk about science fair projects, Team America Rocketry Challenge,
and NAR. Model rocketry is an excellent way to introduce students to the
wonderful world of engineering.

The Exhibit hours are:
Thursday, March 10, 10:00 AM–6:00 PM
Friday, March 11, 9:00 AM–5:00 PM
Saturday, March 12, 9:00 AM–5:00 PM

We need 2 people / day to help at the booth. Ryan Colemen (LUNAR's contest
director) has already volunteered to help on Thursday. I need another person
for Thursday, and two for Friday and Saturday.
Please contact myself if you are interested in helping out.

Yuri's Night:  April 8th - NASA Ames
The is chance to talk with students and tell them what rocketry is all
about. This Educational Outreach event is meant to inspire young minds about
Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM). For LUNAR this means a
chance to talk about your rockets and how they work, TARC, and of course
real rockets. (Yes, you can bring your rockets to display them!) This event
is a lot of fun, and you also get to talk with teachers about possible
science projects for students.

This event is being held at NASA Ames and is open from 0900 to 1400ish.
We need between 3 to 4 volunteers for this!
Please contact me if you would like to help!

MakerFaire: End of May
LUNAR has participated in this event for the last 4? years. Since the event
is still being held in San Mateo, we will be hosting a booth, but will not
be having a build/fly/take this year. We will be talking about rocketry,
TARC, and anything other aspect of the hobby you can think of.
More details to come.

Dave
LUNAR President