[LUNAR Announce:] Shipping of Model Rocket Engines/Motors and Igniters

Jack Hagerty jhagerty at juno.com
Thu Sep 29 21:07:44 UTC 2011

Many of you who are NAR members have received the following e-mail. I'm
passing this on for those of you who don't belong to the NAR, but we need
your help in preserving the status quo.

It seems there's an administrator at the DOT (Department of Transportation)
who has political ambitions, and the cause he's decided on is stopping the
"hazardous" shipping of model rocket motors without an explosives permit.
We're talking everything down to MicroMaxx here. These motors are currently
shipping under a rule called DOT - SP 7887, which governs the shipment of
"flammable solids." The current rule has been in place for 33 years and
there have been no shipping incidents with the hundreds of millions of
motors shipped during that time. That's an astounding safety record, which
is what brings the administrator's motives into question. Moving the motors
from "flammable solids" to "explosives" would essentially kill all LP
rocketry since the shipping permit would cost more than the motors.

The message below is the original e-mail from Mary Roberts, the person who
really runs Estes (don't let anyone tell you different!) explaining what
they're trying to accomplish. There should also be four files attached to
this message. Three of them are background documents, just FYI. The two
PDF's are the original proposal from the DOT. The "Hobbico-Estes" file is
the letter from the Hobbico lawyer with the company's response. Finally, the
"Sample Letter" is where you come in. It is the letter that they would like
you to send to the DOT requesting that DOT - SP 7887 remain in effect. You
can send it by e-mail or paper mail (preferably on a letterhead). E-mail is
find, but paper mail still carries more weight in DC. I'm going to be
sending mine on ARA Press letterhead, but whatever you do, Mary asks that
you copy her on your submission (the address is in the sample letter and
she's cc'd on this message.

Please help the hobby avoid another costly legal battle with the feds!

- Jack

Jack Hagerty, LUNAR #0002

http://www.lunar.org

"If God had meant us to be a spacefaring race,
He would have given us a moon" -- Krafft Ehricke