[LUNAR Announce:] Fw: Re: Can I Post to LUNAR List?

David Raimondi d.raimondi at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 15 21:27:29 EDT 2012

To our AeroPac and LUNAR colleagues and friends.

This is our notice of an attempt to claim the Carmack Prize for an amateur flight above 100K'.  We are attempting to claim the prize using commercial motors in a certified configuration while carrying a functional CanSat sized science payload based on a commercial smartphone.  We adopted these constraints to further our goal of making 100K flights more accessible, repeatable, and affordable for the amateur community.  At the completion of the project, we will publish full documentation of our design and construction process and open-source our payload software.

The airframe is a two-stage, minimum-diameter design (see attached).  Construction is primarily of commercially-available fiberglass components with carbon-laminated fins.

Architecture:     Two stage minimum diameter - 4" booster to 3" sustainer
Motors:             Commercial ACPC motors.   Aerotech N1000 in booster staging to CTI M840 in sustainer.  24 second total burn time.
Total impulse:    21,650 ns
Length:             126"
Pad weight:       61 lbs
Avionics:          (Raven+RDAS, Beeline GPS (70cm APRS), GoPro2 + WiFi BacPac) replicated in booster and sustainer
Payload:           Smartphone+sensors with 2m APRS telemetry
Launcher:         12' rail

We successfully flew the sustainer alone at Mudrock and the full stack on test motors at Aeronaut.   The results matched our expectations.    We will fly at Black Rock, NV, during the AeroPac ARLISS and XPRS events, September 10-16, 2012.  As part of our "repeatability" goal, we intend to make multiple flights weather permitting.  We intend to webcast the video of the launch as well as real-time telemetry of the flight from the AeroPac web site and you can follow the project on Twitter #AeroPac.

Ken Biba - Team/Technical Lead
Casey Barker - Project ManagerErik Ebert
Becky Green
Jim Green
David Raimondi
Tom RouseSteve Wigfield