[LUNAR Announce:] FW: Rocket build kits for youth

Jack Hagerty jhagerty at juno.com
Thu May 17 02:50:03 EDT 2012

I'm making one of my now-rare postings on the announce list because it's
really important that everyone in the club see this. I'm also cc'ing the
president and VP of the NAR.

I got a phone call this evening from Scot Brees. It started out like your
normal rocket call and in my head I was queuing up my usual rocket
couple of years and what his kids remember most is our
make-it/fly-it/take-it. He's now in southern Oregon working for OSU and is
starting something similar for kids in the Beaver State. Mostly what he
needed was Nettie Hunsicker's contact info at Quest, but he wanted to make
sure he knew the kind of impact we had. Our efforts have now started some
rocketry activity in a whole different state! Below is the follow-up email
he sent to me this evening.

It's important to tell all of you because every one of our members, not just
the officers wearing the vests at the launches, is an ambassador for the
hobby. Lots of the people who come out to the launches have never seen the
hobby in action and by our being open, pleasant and helpful answering
questions is how we spread the word. You never know where it might lead.

- Jack

Jack Hagerty, Section Advisor
LUNAR #0002
http://www.lunar.org

"Our main goal for a long time [developing the V2] was to make it more
dangerous to be in the target area than to be part of the test crew." --
Wernher von Braun