[LUNAR Announce:] January Club meeting and Club launch

David Raimondi d.raimondi at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 8 23:01:17 PST 2015

LUNAR-
We will be having our January club meeting on Thursday January 15th. The
meeting will be held from 7:30 to 9:30 PM in
the community room at the Greenmeadow Community Association. The address is:
303 Parkside Drive, Palo Alto, CA 94306.
The Agenda: Club business:
o	January Officer Elections
*	 The LUNAR club is run by the members and this is your chance to run
for a board position and help shape the future of the Club. All the Board
positions are open for re-election.
*	Position are: President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, Board
Member at Large 1, Board Member at Large 2. The Past President is not an
elected position and is held by the previous club president).
*	Nomination are now open and will close just before a vote is taken.

*	This is your chance be a board member and help run the largest Model
Rocket Club in the US.
o	Ames 2015 Permit with NASA status
o	Upcoming Contest:  Jim Bassham will be hold two contest events at
the February and March Snow Ranch launches.  These contest are a lot of fun
so get your rockets ready!
*	February:
*	Predicted Duration
*	Set Altitude 160M (1/10th of a mile contest for the LUNAR mile high
wall)
*	A Parachute Duration
*	G Altitude (Altimeters) - (My hope is we can get some interest from
the regular LUNAR flyers)
*	March:
*	Spot Landing
*	C-Super-roc Altitude
*	Sport Scale (all you need is a scale model and a picture or drawing
of the prototype to enter)
o	Outreach
*	We have about 150 people from Outreach coming to each launch January
and May
o	Team America Rocketry Challenge (TARC)
*	TARC Team from all over the Bay Area will be attending the LUNAR
Launches through the end of March to practice and qualify for the finals.
The Qualification deadline is March 30th. Please help the students if they
ask for help, and be understanding that they have a deadline, and need
access to the Mid-power pads.
o	Snow Ranch launches
*	I would like to see more people volunteering for a one hour shift at
the Snow Ranch launches.  There is on the job training available, and it
allows those of us who are always volunteering to get out and talk with
other members of the club and fly our own rockets. The standard positions
that we need filled is LCO, Low Power Safety check, HP safety check,
Membership and Registration, Forward observer on the Hill, Pad helpers.  We
also need help with setup and teardown.
*	To be LCO you must be HP Certified at L1 to launch the HP rockets
*	To be the HP Safety check officer, you need to be HP Certified at
L2.
o	Equipment
*	Do your best to take care of the club's equipment. The biggest issue
is putting the igniter clips directly under the mid-power and high power
motors.  This melts the insulation and make the clips really dirty for the
next flyer.  Pull the clips away from the motor so they do not get burned
up.
*	Blast plates are required on all of the launch pads. If the pad does
not have a blast plate, go get one. This is a safety issue, we cannot have
the hot exhaust impinging on the ground and equipment.
*	Everyone loves the sparky motors, but they leave behind a big black
mess on the equipment. We will be planning an equipment cleaning party soon
after the last Snow Ranch launch
o	Newsletter
*	I would like to get the Newsletter going again. I need a volunteer
to pull it together and publish it.  This involves asking people to provide
articles describing their latest rocket, flight, or anything else (related
to rocketry), club news, NASA news, the latest highlights from the contests,
etc.. I would like to see this done on a quarterly basis. Why don't you step
up and help make the club a little more interesting.
I hope to see you at the meeting!
David
LUNAR President