[LUNAR Announce:] Feb. and March Ames launches -

David Raimondi d.raimondi at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 15 15:53:30 PST 2016

LUNAR-
The March 19th launch will be LUNAR's last club launch at Moffett Federal
Airfield (NASA Ames). I have been working with Airfield Operations Group,
and while they have not been forth coming with any major issues, we have
only been granted permission to fly through the end of March 2016 from the
FAA.
I have been working with a lot of Outreach groups, and I feel the club
should honor those groups who have been signed up for Jan. through March
launches this year. Since the January launch was cancelled due to a lack of
the FAA waiver and rain, those groups will be coming to the February and
March launches. The last two club launches will see 150 to 200 people from
Outreach in attendance. I have asked each group to bring only those people
who need to be there to help make room for other groups. The larger groups
have been split into two groups, half coming early and half coming at 1100.
LUNAR has grown to be the largest National Association of Rocketry Section
and perhaps the largest rocket club in the US and the world with about 500
members. Being centrally located in the south Bay Area has been great for
the Club and for numerous Outreach groups who have come to share in the
experience of flying Model Rockets.  Between July 2008 and December 2015,
the LUNAR club has helped 11,215 people experience the joy and fun of model
rocketry, and through Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM)
Outreach . By the time the final launch is completed next month, this number
will have grown to almost 11,500 Students who have participated in our
launches at Moffett Federal Airfield.
The NASA Ames Museums has also jumped at the opportunity to show off the P3
in the parking lot and the main Museum at the SW corner of Hanger 1. If you
haven't been through the Museum, stop by and take a look. I understand on
nice days they open up several Cockpits and might even let you sit in the
seat of several airplanes.
I am saddened that we are losing the use of the Airfield, but understand
that Planetary Ventures is trying to make it a viable airfield for aviation.
I hope that we can find another field close to the Bay Area where the land
owner and will be willing to support the club.
David Raimondi
LUNAR President