[LUNAR Announce:] [LUNAR general:] Great Launch today!

Jack Hagerty jhagerty at juno.com
Sun Jun 27 04:44:23 UTC 2010

I'll second that, Dave!

Here are the stats. I didn't get the sign-in sheets, so the "Total Fliers"
box is empty. Also, none of the safety boxes on the flight cards were
checked. I know that Kevin M.'s EC Thunder took a nosedive into the tarmac,
and I saw at least on egg lofter come down the way it's not supposed to, so
I've added those to Safety Stats. Please let me know of any other's you may
be aware of and I'll update the table.

July  2010 - NASA Ames

Flag:

1

Total Flights:

202

Motors consumed, Known:

203

Unknown:

6

Total:

209

Total Impulse expended:

3,042

A low range "L"

			New Fliers:

2

Contest Flights:

0

Average Impulse Per motor:

15.0

A mid range "D"

Per flight:

15.5

A mid range "D"

			Total Fliers:

0

TARC Flights:

0

Motors and Flight Class

1/8A

1/4A

1/2A

Unkn

Total Motors:

1

0

11

21

56

59

22

15

10

8

6

Contest Flights

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

TARC Flights

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

First Time Fliers:

0

0

0

0

0

1

1

0

0

0

0

Safety Stats

Category Total

% of Total

Total Flights:

1

0

11

18

54

59

20

15

10

8

6

202

100.0

Successful:

1

0

11

18

54

59

19

14

10

8

6

200

99.0

Motor Failure:

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0.0

Unstable:

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0.0

Recovery Failure:

0

0

0

0

0

0

1

1

0

0

0

2

1.0

Lots of peripheral activity. There was a Boy Scout troop, some folks from
"Wired" magazine and a reporter from the SF Chronicle interviewing people.
Lots of returns from the Maker Faire crowds, and we discovered that those
saucers don't fly quite as well after sitting in someone's closet for a
month. I suspect we had lots of first timers, but they didn't use the "1st
Time" flight cards, although a higher-than-usual number of people forgot to
list the motor on the flight cards. I further suspect that the two "1st
Time" cards I did find in the stack were really not first timers since they
were more advanced models on "C" and "D" motors. Still, that's what the data
are, so that's what I listed.

- Jack

Jack Hagerty, ARA Press

http://www.arapress.com

"Our main goal for a long time [developing the V2] was to make it more
dangerous

to be in the target area than to be part of the test crew." -- Wernher von
Braun