[LUNAR Announce:] LUNAR News Update

david raimondi d.raimondi at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 8 04:35:49 UTC 2011

LUNAR-

I will apologize for what might be a lengthy email in advance. Here is the
latest LUNAR news!

Boy Scout Jamboree (Oct 8 & 9): The FAA denied the waiver request this year
for the strawberry farm Mike Gentile flew at last year. Mike is talking with
the Camp Parks staff, but Camp Parks is still within 5 miles of Livermore
Airport and the Manager is not in favor of the launch taking place in his
airspace. Mike is also talking with Alameda Naval Air station staff and he
should know something later this week. Stay tuned, the saga continues.
Please contact Mike Gentile if you would like to help out. More help is
needed on Sunday Oct 9th. email: smmike at comcast.net

Ames Moon Day (Oct 8): Ames would like LUNAR to hold our Club launch on Oct
8th to help celebrate "Moon Day". Ames would also enjoy a LUNAR booth on the
Parade Ground were we would talk about model rocketry to those attending the
event. Once the Sun goes Down, the telescopes will come out and everyone is
invited to stay and look through the telescopes at the Moon and possibly
other celestial objects. It has not been decided if the Ames launch will
actually be a Club launch or a Demo launch yet. Stay tuned...
I can use a lot of help with this event since it potentially overlaps with
the Jamboree. Please contact me at president at lunar.org if you can help with
the Moon Day festivities.

GRAIL launch: Three LUNAR members are at Kennedy Space Center to witness the
launch of the GRAIL spacecraft which will study the Moon. More information
at: http://science.nasa.gov/missions/grail/
The lengthy launch window is 1 second long twice a day for a month starting
on October 9th.

LUNAR Board of Directors Nominations open October 1st!
Every January a new Board of Directors is elected. The Board positions to be
filled are: President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, (2) Board
Members at Large.  Here is your opportunity to help the club. If you are
interested in becoming a Board member or want to nominate somebody else,
please send your nomination to any of the Board members.

In addition to the Board of Directors, we also need a club member to
volunteer to publish the LUNAR Clips news letter. Here is an opportunity for
someone to boss the BoD members around and ask for articles.

LUNAR Club Meeting (Sept. 22, 7:30 pm at Livermore public library)
Agenda:
Selling JollyLogic altimeters at LUNAR launches
Should we still charge for Flight cards? (brings in ~$75/launch)
Moon Day launch, Demo or Club launch?
GRAIL launch report by (LUNAR envoy to KSC ???)

David Raimondi
LUNAR President