[LUNAR Announce:] Ames Stats!

Jack Hagerty jhagerty at juno.com
Sun Apr 22 05:06:47 UTC 2012

Boys and Girls of LUNAR!

Normally I don't post stats to the "announce" list, but this is special.

We had a spectacularly busy day today at NASA Ames. Before I go any further
I'd like to single out Tony for his continually amazing job as all-day LCO
and Cliff, Peter T. and Bill K. for manning the SCO tables (sorry if I
missed anyone). We had several large youth groups who were, at times, most
of the people on the field. I was there with my 4H class so didn't get to
help out much except around the edges. When I saw how long the line was I
told my class, "that looks like a 20 minute line." It was less than 10.
Spectacular performance.

Wait, it gets better.

Not only did we have a record number of people sign in, 521 (your count was
correct, Sheryl) but we knew by the stack of launch cards afterward that
we'd done something special. As I was leaving, all of the folks still
hanging around doing the clean-up asked me to count the cards quickly so we
could see if we broke 300. Are you ready for this? (maybe you should be
sitting down): we had nearly that many with the "A" and "B" flights by
themselves! Here are the numbers:

April, 2012 - NASA Ames

Total Flights:

498

Motors consumed, Known:

501

Unknown:

4

Total:

505

				Contest Flights:

0

Total Impulse expended:

4,080

A mid range "L"

			New Fliers:

0

		1/100 Mile

1/10 Mile

Average Impulse Per motor:

8.1

A high range "C"

						Mile High Attempts:

0

0

Per flight:

8.3

A high range "C"

			Total Fliers:

521

TARC Flights:

5

Motors and Flight Class

1/8A

1/4A

1/2A

Unknown

Total Motors:

0

0

0

72

204

188

12

11

7

7

4

Contest Flights

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

TARC Flights

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

5

0

0

First Time Fliers:

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

Safety Stats

Category Total

% of Total

Total Flights:

0

0

0

68

202

187

12

11

7

7

4

498

100.0

Successful:

0

0

0

68

199

178

12

9

7

7

4

484

97.2

Motor Failure:

0

0

0

0

0

1

0

0

0

0

0

1

0.2

Unstable:

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0.0

Recovery Failure:

0

0

0

0

3

8

0

2

0

0

0

13

2.6

I had to go back and manually search for our previous high point. I knew it
was one of the April Robertson Park launches because we used to do special
class launches starting at noon and segue into a night launch that went
until 10 PM or so. Our previous record holder was May, 2001 with a total of
478 flights. Keep in mind, though, that this launch was 10 hours long.
Today's launch was not even half that. A truly remarkable performance by all
involved!

The only thing missing from the table is the number of contest launches.
I'll update it when Ryan sends me those.

Great job, everyone!

- Jack

Jack Hagerty, Section Advisor

LUNAR #0002

http://www.lunar.org

"Our main goal for a long time [developing the V2] was to make it more
dangerous to be in the target area than to be part of the test crew." --
Wernher von Braun