[LUNAR Announce:] Snow Ranch Stats

Jack Hagerty jhagerty at juno.com
Sun Jan 6 13:22:02 EST 2013

I don't normally post these to the announce list, but apparently
google-groups (which hosts the general list) is having some problems.

For January, the weather was quite nice at the ranch today.  The temperature
(mid-50's?) was OK when the wind didn't blow, which it didn't most of the
time, and the ground was firm enough that we didn't sink much past our
knees.

Here are the preliminary stats.  There aren't many safety stats.  The only
ones marked on the cards were the two "G"  flights that got really squirrely
off of the pad, and I added the 7-C cluster that managed to have an ejection
failure, even with seven ejection charges!

January, 2013

Flag:

1

Total Flights:

232

					New Fliers:

0

L1 Certs:

10

Contest Flights:

36

Motors consumed, Known:

251

Unknown:

0

Total:

251

1/100 Mile

1/10 Mile

1 Mile

Total Impulse expended:

36,051

A mid range "O"

			Total Fliers:

119

L2 Certs:

3

Mile High Attempts:

0

0

1

Average Impulse Per motor:

143.6

A mid range "G"

		Hotline Calls:

0

Per flight:

155.4

A high range "G"

			Cars @ noon:

74

L3 Certs:

0

TARC Flights:

5

Motors and Flight Class

1/8A

1/4A

1/2A

Unknown

Total Motors:

2

0

12

19

19

49

15

22

28

31

28

15

8

2

1

0

0

Contest Flights

2

0

12

5

5

9

1

1

0

1

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

TARC Flights

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

4

0

0

0

0

1

0

0

0

First Time/Certification:

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

8

2

3

0

0

0

0

First Time Fliers

L1 Cert

L2 Cert

L3 Cert

1st Time

Safety Stats

Category Total

% of Total

Total Flights:

2

0

12

16

17

39

13

22

28

29

28

15

8

2

1

0

0

232

100.0

Successful:

2

0

12

16

17

38

13

22

28

27

28

15

8

2

1

0

0

229

98.7

Motor Failure:

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0.0

Unstable:

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

2

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

2

0.9

Recovery Failure:

0

0

0

0

0

1

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

0

1

0.4

Ryan wrapped up our LUNAR Fun-4 contest that started last month, which
accounted for all of the flights below "A".

There's a new item in there courtesy of Tony Cooper: Hotline calls.   Since
the board voted to move the hotline from my office to Google (and let Tony
do the updates) and Tony volunteered to send me the stats that Google
offers,  I've decided to track the number of calls we get from one launch to
the next.  He hasn't sent me the number for today, but last month we had 165
between the ranch and Ames launches.

Here are some other tidbits.  It seems that folks were coming out of the
woodwork to do their HP certs.  Some have been waiting since June (too foggy
last month).  There were 10 L1 cert flights and 3 L2.  There was one TARC
team out there that made a few test flights, plus the UC Davis SLI team
(being mentored by Steve Kendall) made the "K" flight listed in the TARC
row, since I didn't want to create a whole new row.

And because I know that Wes is going to ask me for them, here are the names
of all the Cert fliers along with their models.  The cards don't list
whether or not they were successful:

Name                                    Level     Rocket
Motor

Tim Robinson                       L1          LOC Athena
H151

James Buscue                      L1          Madcow Cowabunga
H120

Jack Waterson                     L1          PML Quicksilver
H73

Charles Hymes                    L1          Madcow Sun Dagger
H128

Tony Slajs                              L1          Madcow Rush Job
H 148

Dennis Yeh                           L1          LOC Sobriety
H128 (I'm sure that his name for the rocket, not the kit name!)

Winton Davies                     L1          Madcow Piranha
H238

Robert Belknap                   L1          Pem Tech King Kralan
H143

James Ryan                          L1          AeroTech Lightning Bolt
I200

Mark Demmers                  L1          Madcow Torrent
I303

Mark Isabell                         L2          Giant Leap Vertical Assault
J500

Matthew Bowman            L2          Hester (scratch built)
J500

Ross Talarico                        L2          PML Nimbus
J270

- Jack

Jack Hagerty, Section Advisor

LUNAR #0002

http://www.lunar.org

"Our main goal for a long time [developing the V2] was to make it more
dangerous to be in the target area than to be part of the test crew." --
Wernher von Braun