Getting Permits for HP Launches

Pyro III

In 2009, a court ruling removed the requirement to have a Federal Low Explosives Permit (LEUP) in order to buy and transport high power rocket motors. A California Pyrotechnic Operator-Class III does need to be supervising any high power flights.

Pyrotechnic Operator-Rocketry Class III license

LUNAR has a WIKI and mail list for Class 3 information and discussions.

Pyro III Wiki
Pyro III Mailing List

Tony Cooper has an excellent WEB page outlining the Class 3 process.

The process isn't hard. The requirements and the test material is taken directly from NAR Level 2 material, with a heavy emphasis on site dimensions and distances. Since I think most of the L2 test should be a L1 test anyway, I really like the idea of taking the Pyro Class 3 test prior to being able to certify L1.

| About LUNAR | Home | Calendar | Contacts | Gallery | Old Gallery | Member Pages | Events | Presentations & Docs | LUNAR'clips | Handbook | Space Place | Mailing Lists | Joining | Other Rocketry Pages | Site Map | Frames |

All content is the responsibility of LUNAR. If you have comments or suggestions regarding these web pages, please contact the

Copyright © 1992 - 2024 LUNAR

Last modified on Wednesday, 05-Feb-2014 19:45:16 PST